Friday, April 6, 2007

Fal Resort and on to Riyadh


This morning after a few hours sleep, we went back to the Fal Resort. We left the hotel at 7:15 which allowed us to get to the resort before the locals woke up. (They go to sleep late and wake up late) It was a beautiful morning. First I went swimming in the pool. Then I went swimming in the Red Sea – which is salty enough to allow you to float but crystal clear. Then I had a surprise experience. I told Marwan (our Aramco host) that I had a problem. I bought too much at the souk. All my stuff does not fit in my suitcase. So I asked if one of the men could go buy me a suitcase while we were at the resort. He said, just buy one at the Hilton when we return. I laughed and told him that I am a teacher – I can’t buy gum at the Hilton. So he told me to go to the dive shop and see if they have a suitcase. If they do, just charge it to Aramco. So I went to the dive shop, they had one scuba diving suitcase. I took it and signed my name (692 Saudi riyals). That was more than 200 American dollars. I’m not sure I’ll ever recover from this trip. Then I got some snorkel equipment because they would not let me scuba dive. I went snorkeling – the reefs were OK but the fish were wonderful. Very beautiful. So I have snorkeled on the Red Sea and loved every minute of it. When I returned, I swam in the pool awhile and now I am sitting in the lobby waiting for lunch.

This afternoon we go to Riyadh. I dread the airplane ride – just because of the hassle last time. One of my friends said, now you know why they wear full face veils. We are thinking of wearing our full face veils and sunglasses for this ride.

8 p.m. We have now arrived in Riyadh. The airplane ride was much less stressful- because I sat between a man in our group and a Saudi woman. I kept my hijab (veil) on the entire time and managed to sleep a bit. Now we have arrived at the Al Faisaliah Hotel – my room is simply unbelievable. A butler brought me up and I have a butler that I can call at any time. I have a soaker tub and a walk in shower. And it is simply stunning.

We do not have to meet until 8:45 a.m. which is wonderful. I plan to update the blog and then get a good night’s sleep. Tomorrow morning we get to see a government school (which is the first time our group has been allowed to visit a government (vs. private) school. I am looking forward to that.

I continue to pinch myself as I realize how blessed I am to be on this trip. I have certainly been treated royally but I also have learned so much and met an endless number of fascinating people.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly would be pinching myself too! Your experiences sound like something out of novel! We love to read your blog and see your pictures. Continue to enjoy every minute of this once in a lifetime trip ;0)
Nancy

Ms. Edith Campbell said...

Hello! I think I've posted previously on your blog. I mentioned that I was a media director in the last group of educators that visited the KSA. I just read on one of the other blogs that your group is visited/has visited public schools and libraries. What an incredible opportunity! If you would contact me via email to let me know what the collections and facilities are like, possibly even share some photos, I'd be much appreciative!
I'm sure you're having a hard time realizing how close to the end your trip has been! I'm glad to hear how well it is going for you and the rest of the group!
I'm assuming my email address is made available to you as part of the background information you're given on postings. If not, I'll post it later to the blog.

Edi Campbell

Kris said...

Hi Edi,
No you have not written to my blog- but I'm glad to hear from you. I would love to write to you when I return to the states. I don't have access to your email. Let's exchange email addresses when I am back on the other side of the big pond.
Kris